First 15K

 


I picked up my runner’s goodie bag yesterday. I was getting ready for my first 15K. My VERY FIRST RACE EVER was the HC5K so it’s only fitting my first 15K would be this one. It was challenging but I pushed myself and did my very best and nothing less. It has been a couple of years since I ran even a 5K so the 15K seemed a bit much to me. BUT…I was excited to do it anyway. How do you challenge yourself? Do you? You have to push yourself past your comfort zone in order to grow and get better. I got up super early and didn’t stop going for most of the day. It was a very busy morning!

Here are just a few things you might like to know.

*This was my first 15K
*It was also my first race of any kind in almost 2 years…yikes!
*My very first race was the HC5K
*It was in the 30s this morning and the sun never came out to warm things up.
*My feet didn’t hurt until mile 9.
*I took sips of my Hydrate during the race to keep me going but at the end I drank most of it. I didn’t want to have to potty during the race.
*I would pick a light or a tree and run until I got to it. Often times I was able to keep running past that once I got going. Giving myself goals to shoot for helped.
*I took it one mile at a time. Once I got to 6 miles I knew I was only a 5k away from finishing.
*When I did a 10K 2 years ago my feet hurt between mile 4 and 5 so they were hurting badly by the time I finished. Today I passed mile 6 feeling great!
*Having family or friends waiting for you at the finish line makes all the difference in the world.
*Hearing them call my name as I came towards the finish line and them saying what a great job I did brought tears to my eyes. It was pretty cool.
*Getting the finisher’s metal was awesome!
*Getting a cup of hot chocolate and a bowl of fondue hit the spot. I ate it all but the marshmallows and rice crispy treat.
*Going to eat breakfast after I make them stand out in the cold is a tradition. Old West is a new venue. It was delicious.
*Normally, I can’t fall asleep after a race, any size race. Today I fell asleep shortly afterwards and slept for a couple of hours.
*Stretching and “rolling” my feet and legs is a must in my recovery. Plus a hot bath and a cup of Recharge at bedtime.
*Will I do it again? Yep, next year and every year after as long as I can. I am sad I missed last year.
**I forgot to turn off my Nike app at the finish line and turned it off after I walked all the way to get my finisher’s mug of fondue.
**I forgot to turn off my Polar watch until I was almost to the car!

There you have it. My day. What did yours look like?

As Always,

~A Simple Texas Girl living life on the Jesus Way!


Comments

Popular Posts