New Year's Post 2024


A NEW year usually means many things to people. The one thing that people USUALLY decide they want a fresh start on in January is their fitness! They decide to join a gym, start a new diet, start walking daily or even training for a marathon. 

There is NOTHING wrong with fresh starts and getting your focus back. My advice to you is to NOT make it a “resolution” because MOST people only last a week or two before they decide to forget it. 

Instead, CHOOSE to make small changes each day that will add up to BIG results in the long run. I AM making some plans for a fresh start for the new year. I’m changing how I do certain things and continuing doing others just like I have been. 

For those of you who are just learning my story or don't mind a refresher, here is a bit of my journey. 

Fitness has ALWAYS been a part of my life. My grandmother and I went to the gym together when I was a teen. When I got married (at age 17 and a half), I started doing an exercise program at home. No, there was no such thing as VHS or DVD and especially not online streaming! I worked out in a tiny room in our mobile home to a Jane Fonda fitness record on the record player! There were a few pictures on the inside cover to show some of the movements. But I would play it and follow along with what she said to do. 

We moved Arlington in 1985 from a tiny city close to Corpus Christi and a couple of years later had my first baby. I joined a gym and started taking the aerobics classes and doing the machines. I didn't stick with it very long because it was hard getting to the gym and leaving my child in the nursery with a bunch of other kids and strangers. I found workouts on VHS tapes and eventually DVD’s. I joined gyms here and there but I have always been most consistent when I’ve done things at home. It took TIME to drive to and from a gym. Time I really didn't have. 

Back in 2014, my daughter introduced me to a company that would be pivotal in my health and wellness. I didn’t realize at the time that I HAD done one do their very first programs, Power 90 with Tony Horton in the early 2000's! Of course, by 2014 Tony had created many more programs off of that one. 

Over the years, I’ve continued doing the workout programs that finally became a streaming service instead of selling physical copies. I still have many programs on dvd! A couple of years ago they started offering a stationary bike that includes a screen with access to their entire list of programs. I bought it for myself for my 56 birthday! 

I started working out in my living room with a small corner to store my weights and other equipment. Two and a half years ago I turned one of the spare bedrooms into my workout room and office. I purchased the bike and got a bench plus some mats to cover the carpet for a workout floor. You do NOT have to have an entire room to make it work. I worked out in my living room for decades! It was what I had and I made it work and never thought twice about it. The ONLY reason I could make over a bedroom is because we are now empty nesters. I didn't wait a minute changing up things. NOT because I was glad my last child was moving out. It was ONE way of dealing with her leaving home.  

FOR the last decade, BODi has been my main fitness and nutrition resource. EVERY single part of my fitness journey is ON this platform. My cardio, lifting/strength training, running, bike rides, stretching and mobility, mindset, nutrition, motivation, tracking, accountability…it has it ALL! (Right now they are offering some amazing deals. Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll send you the info.)

All this to say, my workouts are NOT my struggle! My struggles are with an unhealthy relationship with food! I’ve got some serious habits to change and some challenging mindsets to break through. I’ve used foods for emotional reasons when things have been really hard. And let’s not forget how easy it is to purchase foods with unhealthy ingredients and how challenging it is to find and afford foods that are healthy and safe to consume. My “weakness” is chocolate and sugar in general. I am addicted to it and when I don’t have that under control, my weight is out of control. 

I am starting a Super Block version of a nutrition program that is going to help me address these issues and break the cycle of yo-yo weight loss/gain. There are NO pills, shots, diet foods, fake foods, counting calories or limiting the amount you eat (as long as you are REALLY hungry. Sometimes we are thirsty and just THINK we are hungry!). It will help me recognize the triggers and prepare my mind to fight them. I’m so ready to be free from the old thoughts and habits. (Highly recommend!) There are NO magic pills or shots that will help you CHANGE your body and mind that will KEEP IT OFF after you stop doing whatever it is. You HAVE to change the way you do things and the way you think! THINK on that for a bit! 

This past year I’ve grown so much in my walk on the Jesus Way! Spiritually I’ve grown and continue to seek ways to strengthen my walk even more. I fully believe that my body is supposed to be a temple and that I am supposed to be taking care of my body the best that I am able. I’ve not done that as well as I should. In 2024, I begin a new leg of this journey towards that goal. I don’t know exactly where it will take me but I had no idea what committing to a morning quiet time that included prayer journaling after my Bible reading would change me. I’ve been writing in a prayer journal for a year and a half. It’s grown into something so sweet and powerful for me. (I'll share more on that in a future post. One of my yearly goals is to blog more! I miss writing!)

I’m so excited to see how God is going to walk with me through this journey of my nutrition and fitness as I invite HIM to guide me, to change my mindset and break the chains of food addictions. 

Everything I do is centered around my love for Jesus. BUT I am so thankful for the resources He has given me. One of those resources is my daughter, Sami. Back then they were called “coaches”. Now they are called “partners” because they come along side you and partner with you on your journey. She has been a wonderful encouragement for me and given me much needed advice and sometimes a swift kick in the booty! IF you're looking for some amazing support AND great resources, I can point you in the right direction! 

I hope you ALL have a very Merry Christmas and WILL have an amazing New Year!


As Always,

~A Simple Texas Girl living life on the Jesus Way!


*Note to add this is an older collage of pictures. Can't wait to update my photos throughout 2024!

Comments

Popular Posts