Heart's Safe Passage by Laurie Alice Eakes

One Woman Takes The Treacherous Journey Towards Redemption...And Love


All Phoebe Lee wants out of life is to practice midwifery in Loudon County, Virginia. But when she refuses to accompany her pregnant sister-in-law to help save her husband from prison during the War of 1812, Phoebe finds herself pressed aboard a British privateer. 

Captain Rafe Docherty promises to get Phoebe's brother-in-law out of prison in exchange for information Rafe needs to exact revenge on the man who destroyed his family. As he realizes his attraction to Phoebe, she determines to get ashore before her patient goes into labor -- and before her own heart is in danger. But an enemy in their midst threatens to end their plans -- and their very lives.

------------------------------
This is the third book I have read from Laurie Alice and I find myself loving each book even more than the one before and wondering how that is even possible. One of the biggest draws for me is the characters. Her characters are so alive and real. They grab my heart and I struggle right along with them throughout the story. The other thing that really grabs me is her settings and the history surrounding the characters. I have become so wrapped up in history of late that when I read these books I love finding historical events that I can say "I remember learning about that!" 

Phoebe is such a beloved character. She is strong and caring yet quiet because she has learned to be for her profession of midwifery. Yet she hides a part of herself away, buried under a mountain of pain and fears. The tenderness she shows others is something we should all strive for. I love how she is able to draw Rafe out of his hard shell with her gentleness. Ugly rumors follow her but behind the rumors there are truths that no one knows.

Rafe is a mystery but we see glimpses of his real self from time to time. While he is lead by revenge he still cares so much for his friends and others in his charge. He struggles to not fall in love with Phoebe but longs to have a normal life with her and a family. A thought he quickly puts from his mind over and over again. He is a gentle man but one that can command a crew with authority and strength of character. He not only struggles with the love growing inside his heart for Phoebe, he struggles with a lost faith in God. Phoebe makes it her "mission" to bring him back to the Lord. 

This is a wonderful book and I recommend it highly. And don't forget to get book one in this series, Lady in the Mist. I can't wait for book three to come out, plus her other books. 

------------------------------

Want More:



Jersey Brides

Lady in The Mist: Book 1 in the Midwifes series

Printed on My Heart in Highland Crossings January 2012

A Necessary Deception: Book 1 in The Daughters of Bainbridge House series

Over a Barrel in Colonial Courtships May 2012

Comments

Popular Posts